About New Glasgow
New Glasgow is a beautiful riverside town of over 9,000 residents, located in Northern Nova Scotia, which serves as the commercial-service centre for the region of Pictou County with a population of about 43,000. Founded by Scottish settlers in 1784, the town was named after Glasgow, Scotland. Once a thriving shipbuilding centre, New Glasgow is now the retail service centre for the region with dynamic financial and professional sectors. The people of New Glasgow have created and carried on a legacy of excellence in the fields of business, entrepreneurship, education, social leadership, human rights, athletics, entertainment, music, and all three orders of government.
The Town New Glasgow’s key strategies are investment in infrastructure, commercial development, environmental stewardship, downtown revitalization, cultural diversity, strategic partnerships/regional cooperation, health and safety, the creative economy, and healthy lifestyles. These combined with strong core services and enhanced communications position New Glasgow for significant growth.
The streets of New Glasgow reveal historic architecture with many beautifully crafted buildings and homes made of sandstone and brick. New Glasgow has quality educational facilities, a regional hospital, a performing arts theatre, a regional library, a full-service marina, two groomed walking trails, several parks and playgrounds, franchised accommodations and a diverse selection of restaurants and entertainment.